The Night Land blog - an extension of www.thnightlnd.co.uk

Thursday 24 April 2014

Memories of Andy

As Kate has said, we are determined to keep Andy's work going in one form or another, so keep alert and explore what is already here if you aren't familiar with it.

A lot of people are telling me what tremendous influence Andy had as an editor and advocate, which I can attest to myself.  As a writer himself he showed amazing inspiration and poetry tinged with melancholy.

Most budding writers wait months or years to receive their first rejection, but Andy accepted my first story in eight hours.  Of course he wanted changes - I didn't even have consistent tenses!  Nonetheless, there began his literary guidance, and our friendship.  I live in New Zealand, almost the antipodes of his home, but we managed to meet in person a couple of years later and hit it off immediately.  Since then, we worked together developing the vision of the Night Land while he guided and refined my own skills as a writer.  If I ever succeed in making a success as a writer (which is by no means guaranteed as many of the brilliantly impoverished can relate), I know who I can thank.

I am not the only one, however.  Andy inspired and guided many in his own life.  The fact was, he loved stories and storytellers.  He was also a loving father, brother and husband... and he was my friend.

2 comments:

  1. He kept the Night Land in my mind's eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this. I never knew Andy nearly as well as you did, but I still knew him, and I'll miss him.

    ReplyDelete